83.7% of the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) in The Hills Shire have qualifications, compared to 72.7% for New South Wales.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for The Hills Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of The Hills Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|The Hills Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||372||50.5||25.0||316||44.1||21.8||+56|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||83||11.3||12.4||100||13.9||11.0||-17|
|Certificate I and II Level||0||0||0.8||7||1.0||1.0||-7|
|Certificate III & IV Level||153||20.8||32.6||141||19.7||33.0||+12|
|Certificate Level, nfd||9||1.2||1.9||10||1.4||1.8||-1|
|Inadequately described or not stated||9||1.2||2.0||20||2.8||3.1||-11|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) in The Hills Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 83.7% of the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) held educational qualifications, and 15.1% had no qualifications, compared with 72.7% and 25.3% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) of The Hills Shire and (New South Wales) were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) with Bachelor or Higher degree (50.5% compared to 25.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) with Certificate III & IV Level (20.8% compared to 32.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) with No qualification (15.1% compared to 25.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services) in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+56 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (-17 persons)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+12 persons)
- No qualification (-12 persons)