The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Qualifications
70.9% of the resident workers in The Hills Shire have qualifications, compared to 63.9% for Administrative and Support Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for The Hills Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|The Hills Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||33,053||41.2||27.3||25,738||34.8||24.3||+7,315||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,942||12.4||16.4||9,345||12.6||14.4||+597||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||711||0.9||1.4||899||1.2||1.7||-188||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||11,247||14.0||14.8||11,346||15.3||15.1||-99||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,900||2.4||4.1||1,547||2.1||2.9||+353||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,129||2.7||3.2||3,092||4.2||5.7||-963||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in The Hills Shire in 2016 compared to Administrative and Support Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 70.9% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 26.4% had no qualifications, compared with 63.9% and 32.9% respectively for Administrative and Support Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of The Hills Shire and Administrative and Support Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (41.2% compared to 27.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (26.4% compared to 32.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (12.4% compared to 16.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Certificate Level, nfds (2.4% compared to 4.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+7,315 people )
- No qualifications (-809 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+597 people )
- Certificate Level, nfds (+353 people )