37.8% of All industries local workers in The Hills Shire are employed part-time and 60.4% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in The Hills Shire across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|The Hills Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,855||13.9||16.5||7,542||13.3||17.0||+1,313|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,094||11.1||15.8||6,094||10.8||15.8||+1,000|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,555||10.3||12.2||5,689||10.1||11.3||+866|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,558||16.5||15.5||8,513||15.1||13.8||+2,045|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,328||8.3||6.3||5,219||9.2||6.8||+109|
|49 hours or more||9,508||14.9||11.8||9,005||15.9||11.6||+503|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in The Hills Shire in 2016 compared to the Administrative and Support Services workforce within The Hills Shire shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.8% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 60.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 46.9% and 52.1% respectively for the Administrative and Support Services workforce within The Hills Shire.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in The Hills Shire and the Administrative and Support Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.9% compared to 16.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.1% compared to 15.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (20.7% compared to 18.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.9% compared to 11.8%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,045 local workers)
- 40 hours (+1,762 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,313 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,000 local workers)