37.8% of All industries local workers in The Hills Shire are employed part-time and 60.4% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in The Hills Shire across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|The Hills Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,855||13.9||10.8||7,542||13.3||10.5||+1,313|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,094||11.1||10.5||6,094||10.8||9.8||+1,000|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,555||10.3||10.5||5,689||10.1||9.9||+866|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,558||16.5||19.1||8,513||15.1||18.3||+2,045|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,328||8.3||9.1||5,219||9.2||10.1||+109|
|49 hours or more||9,508||14.9||14.9||9,005||15.9||16.6||+503|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in The Hills Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales within The Hills Shire shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.8% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 60.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales within The Hills Shire.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.9% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (20.7% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.3% compared to 9.1%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in The Hills Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,045 local workers)
- 40 hours (+1,762 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,313 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,000 local workers)