Shire of Toodyay
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
Toodyay is thought to be named from the Aboriginal word ‘duidgee’ meaning “place of plenty”.
Location and boundaries
The Shire of Toodyay borders the north-eastern edge of the Perth metropolitan area, about 85 kilometres from the Perth CBD. The Shire of Toodyay is bounded by the Shire of Victoria Plains in the north, the Shire of Goomalling and the Shire of Northam in the east, the Shire of Mundaring and the City of Swan in the south, and the Shire of Chittering in the west.
The Shire of Toodyay includes the localities of Bejoording, Bindoon Training Area, Coondle, Culham, Dewars Pool, Dumbarton, Hoddys Well, Julimar, Moondyne, Morangup, Nunile, Toodyay, Wattening and West Toodyay.
The Shire of Toodyay is a predominantly rural area, with a township at Toodyay and several rural subdivisions. Land is used largely for agriculture, particularly sheep and cattle grazing and grain growing, with some olive growing and viticulture. The Shire encompasses a total land area of nearly 1,700 square kilometres.
The Shire of Toodyay is served by the AvonLink and MerredinLink train services.
European settlement dates from the early 1830s when the first land grants were made in the Avon Valley, with the township of Toodyay established in 1836. Land was used mainly for farming, particularly sheep grazing and crop growing. Gradual growth took place from the mid 1800s to the early 1900s, aided by the opening of the railway line. Growth resumed during the post-war years, with the population of the Shire rising from about 1,200 in 1947 to 1,500 in 1954. The population then fell slightly to about 1,300 in 1971, before rising to over 1,400 in 1981. The population continued to increase from the 1980s, rising to about 2,500 in 1991, to about 3,800 in 2001, and then to over 4,200 in 2011. Growth is expected to continue.
The original inhabitants of the Toodyay area were the Ballardong Noongar Aboriginal people.