Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in Toowoomba than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Toowoomba Regional Council's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South East Queensland%||Number||%||South East Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||10,757||15.1||13.6||10,575||15.4||14.1||+182||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,918||11.1||11.2||6,809||9.9||10.0||+1,109||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,501||13.3||14.3||9,545||13.9||15.6||-44||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||4,888||6.9||5.9||4,898||7.1||6.1||-10||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||911||1.3||1.6||1,086||1.6||1.8||-175||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Toowoomba in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,271 people or 18.6%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (10,757 people or 15.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,501 people or 13.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 33,529 people in total or 47.1% of the resident workers .
In comparison, South East Queensland employed 21.7% in Professionals; 13.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 14.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Toowoomba and South East Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (12.2% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.1% compared to 13.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (18.6% compared to 21.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Toowoomba increased by 2,371 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Toowoomba were for those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,109 people)
- Professionals (+1,088 people)
- Managers (+224 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+182 people)