Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) community and personal service workers in Toowoomba than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Toowoomba Regional Council's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||85||12.6||11.1||85||13.7||11.8||0||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||183||27.2||26.7||176||28.3||26.2||+7||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||75||11.1||10.7||81||13.0||12.1||-6||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||10||1.5||2.1||3||0.5||2.0||+7||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||9||1.3||1.2||9||1.4||1.2||0||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) in Toowoomba in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (183 people or 27.2%)
- Labourers (99 people or 14.7%)
- Managers (95 people or 14.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 377 people in total or 56.0% of the resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services).
In comparison, Queensland employed 26.7% in Community and Personal Service Workers; 8.3% in Labourers; and 14.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) of Toowoomba and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) employed as Labourers (14.7% compared to 8.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (12.6% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) employed as Professionals (13.7% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) employed as Sales Workers (3.7% compared to 5.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services)] in Toowoomba increased by 51 between 2011 and 2016.
There were no major changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Arts and Recreation Services) between 2011 and 2016 in Toowoomba.