36.0% of All industries local workers in Toowoomba are employed part-time and 62.3% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Toowoomba across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Toowoomba - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,690||11.1||11.0||7,146||10.7||10.5||+544|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,339||9.1||9.4||5,920||8.9||8.9||+419|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,436||12.2||12.0||7,410||11.1||10.9||+1,026|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,895||20.0||19.3||13,132||19.7||18.3||+763|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,722||9.7||9.4||6,973||10.5||10.6||-251|
|49 hours or more||12,049||17.4||16.4||12,125||18.2||18.5||-76|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Toowoomba in 2016 compared to Queensland within Toowoomba shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.0% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland within Toowoomba.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Toowoomba and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.1% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.0% compared to 19.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (15.2% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (17.4% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Toowoomba between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,026 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+763 local workers)
- 40 hours (+646 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+544 local workers)