In Toowoomba, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Toowoomba - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,764||22.7||25.1||12,873||19.3||21.5||+2,891|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,202||10.4||10.9||5,983||9.0||9.3||+1,219|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,073||1.5||1.3||1,231||1.8||1.5||-158|
|Certificate III & IV Level||16,896||24.4||23.0||14,428||21.6||21.6||+2,468|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,417||2.0||2.0||1,084||1.6||1.7||+333|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,691||2.4||2.7||2,332||3.5||3.8||-641|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Toowoomba in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 61.1% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.5% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Toowoomba and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (22.7% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.5% compared to 35.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.4% compared to 23.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.4% compared to 10.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Toowoomba between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-3,440 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+2,891 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,468 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,219 local workers)