City of Unley
About the area
ABS ERP 2019
Health Care and Social Assistance
The City of Unley is thought to be named after the hamlet of Undley in Suffolk, England.
Location and boundaries
The City of Unley is located immediately south of the City of Adelaide, a few kilometres from the Adelaide GPO. The City of Unley is bounded by Greenhill Road in the north, Glen Osmond Road in the east, Cross Road in the south and South Road and the Anzac Highway in the west. The City of Unley is bounded by the City of Adelaide in the north, the City of Burnside in the east, the City of Mitcham in the south, and the Cities of Marion and West Torrens in the west.
The City of Unley includes the suburbs of Black Forest, Clarence Park, Everard Park, Forestville, Fullarton, Goodwood, Highgate, Hyde Park, Keswick (part), Kings Park, Malvern, Millswood, Myrtle Bank, Parkside, Unley, Unley Park and Wayville.
The City of Unley is predominantly a residential area, with some commercial and industrial areas. The City encompasses a total land area of 14 square kilometres.
The City of Unley is served by the Anzac Highway, the Belair and Noarlunga railway lines and the Glenelg-Adelaide tramway.
European settlement dates from 1840 when the first subdivisions were made. Land was used mainly for farming, orcharding, grazing and dairying. Expansion took place from the 1870s into the early 1900s, spurred by improved access and the establishment of several villages. The population grew from about 11,000 in 1891 to about 22,000 in 1906. Significant development occurred during the early 1900s, with the area almost completely subdivided by the end of the 1920s. The population peaked at 47,000 in 1947, and then declined from the 1950s to the 1970s. During the 1980s and 1990s the population was relatively stable, with a slight increase in recent years, rising from under 35,000 in 2001 to over 36,000 in 2011. Recent growth has been largely due to medium density housing.
The original inhabitants of the City of Unley were the Kaurna Aboriginal people.