Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Unley - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||7,196||37.1||25.9||6,194||32.3||22.1||+1,002|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,684||13.9||10.6||2,517||13.1||9.4||+167|
|Certificate I and II Level||195||1.0||1.5||238||1.2||1.6||-43|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,109||16.0||21.4||2,890||15.1||20.0||+219|
|Certificate Level, nfd||384||2.0||2.2||394||2.1||1.9||-10|
|Inadequately described or not stated||478||2.5||2.7||696||3.6||3.9||-218|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Unley in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 70.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 27.5% had no qualifications, compared with 61.5% and 35.8% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Unley and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (37.1% compared to 25.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (27.5% compared to 35.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (16.0% compared to 21.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (13.9% compared to 10.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Unley between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,002 local workers)
- No qualification (-932 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+219 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+167 local workers)