Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Unley - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||9,268||42.8||30.6||7,196||37.1||25.9||+2,072|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,873||13.3||10.3||2,684||13.9||10.6||+189|
|Certificate I and II Level||188||0.9||1.5||195||1.0||1.5||-7|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,393||15.7||21.6||3,109||16.0||21.4||+284|
|Certificate Level, nfd||371||1.7||1.7||384||2.0||2.2||-13|
|Inadequately described or not stated||386||1.8||2.1||478||2.5||2.7||-92|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Unley in 2021 compared to South Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 74.4% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 23.9% had no qualifications, compared with 65.8% and 32.2% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Unley and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (42.8% compared to 30.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (23.9% compared to 32.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (15.7% compared to 21.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (13.3% compared to 10.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Unley between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+2,072 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+284 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+189 local workers)
- No qualification (-165 local workers)