Town of Victoria Park
Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in the Town of Victoria Park have a higher proportion of people using public transport to get to work than Other Services.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the Town of Victoria Park's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Town of Victoria Park||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Other Services %||Number||%||Other Services %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||10,036||57.3||61.6||9,089||54.2||63.0||+947||2001|
|Car, as passenger||787||4.5||2.8||853||5.1||3.9||-66||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||296||1.7||1.0||292||1.7||1.5||+4||2017|
|Worked at home||574||3.3||5.2||412||2.5||3.2||+162||2019|
|Did not go to work||1,634||9.3||9.7||1,663||9.9||9.8||-29||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 2,921 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Town of Victoria Park, compared with 10,881 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Town of Victoria Park shows that 16.7% used public transport, while 62.2% used a private vehicle, compared with 14.2% and 64.5% respectively in Other Services.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers of the Town of Victoria Park and Other Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Bus (10.7% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as passenger (4.5% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as driver (57.3% compared to 61.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Worked at home (3.3% compared to 5.2%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers in the Town of Victoria Park between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+947 people)
- Worked at home (+162 people)
- Train (-104 people)
- Bus (-102 people)