Wagga Wagga City
Employment by industry (FTE)
In Wagga Wagga City, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 4,420 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Wagga Wagga City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Wagga Wagga City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Wagga Wagga City||2017/18||2015/16||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2015/16 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,205||4.2||2.5||1,830||6.4||2.8||-625||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||368||1.3||1.1||313||1.1||1.2||+54||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,700||5.9||5.7||1,470||5.1||5.8||+230||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,367||4.8||5.8||1,618||5.6||5.9||-251||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||237||0.8||2.6||345||1.2||2.5||-108||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||491||1.7||5.2||453||1.6||5.3||+38||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||342||1.2||1.9||365||1.3||2.0||-23||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,274||4.4||10.4||1,197||4.2||10.2||+77||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||733||2.5||3.0||704||2.4||3.3||+29||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,352||11.7||5.5||3,296||11.5||5.6||+56||24400||P|
|Education and Training||2,475||8.6||7.5||2,585||9.0||7.5||-110||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,420||15.4||11.4||4,190||14.6||11.3||+230||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||455||1.6||1.5||228||0.8||1.5||+227||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Wagga Wagga City in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,420 full-time equivalent local workers or 15.4%)
- Public Administration and Safety (3,352 full-time equivalent local workers or 11.7%)
- Retail Trade (2,724 full-time equivalent local workers or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 10,496 people in total or 36.5% of local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 11.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 5.5% in Public Administration and Safety; and 8.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Public Administration and Safety (11.7% compared to 5.5%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.4% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.4% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.7% compared to 5.2%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in Wagga Wagga City increased by 2 between 2015/16 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2015/16 and 2017/18 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed in:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (-625 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Construction (-392 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (-251 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+230 full-time equivalent local workers)