Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Wagga Wagga City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Wagga Wagga City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Wagga Wagga City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Wagga Wagga City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||467||1.4||2.3||470||1.6||2.1||-3|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||3,111||9.4||10.0||3,081||10.3||10.4||+30|
|Architecture and Building||1,581||4.8||4.3||1,483||5.0||4.4||+98|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,081||3.2||1.5||983||3.3||1.5||+98|
|Management and Commerce||4,297||12.9||18.3||3,879||13.0||17.1||+418|
|Society and Culture||2,769||8.3||9.7||2,191||7.3||8.8||+578|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,319||4.0||3.2||1,172||3.9||3.3||+147|
|Mixed Field Programmes||61||0.2||0.1||47||0.2||0.1||+14|
|Not stated or inadequately described||886||2.7||2.8||770||2.6||2.7||+116|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Wagga Wagga City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (4,297 people or 12.9%)
- Health (3,417 people or 10.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (3,111 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,825 people in total or 32.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 18.3% in Management and Commerce; 8.0% in Health and 10.0% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.9% compared to 18.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (1.3% compared to 3.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (10.3% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (3.2% compared to 1.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Wagga Wagga City increased by 3,424 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2016 and 2021 in Wagga Wagga City was for those qualified in:
- Health (+768 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+578 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+418 resident workers)
- Education (+310 resident workers)