Wagga Wagga City
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Management and Commerce in Wagga Wagga City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Wagga Wagga City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Wagga Wagga City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Wagga Wagga City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Wagga Wagga City||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||60||2.0||2.7||55||1.7||2.6||+5||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||383||12.6||11.3||435||13.7||11.8||-52||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||98||3.2||3.4||89||2.8||3.4||+9||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||120||3.9||2.9||119||3.8||3.0||+1||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||508||16.7||19.1||481||15.2||17.7||+27||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||456||15.0||21.3||365||11.5||19.3||+91||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||64||2.1||1.5||64||2.0||1.5||0||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||6||0.2||0.1||3||0.1||0.0||+3||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||91||3.0||3.0||110||3.5||3.5||-19||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Wagga Wagga City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (508 people or 16.7%)
- Society and Culture (456 people or 15.0%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (383 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,347 people in total or 44.3% of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 19.1% in Management and Commerce; 21.3% in Society and Culture; and 11.3% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.6% compared to 11.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Society and Culture (15.0% compared to 21.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Management and Commerce (16.7% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) qualified in Information Technology (1.3% compared to 3.0%)
The number of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Wagga Wagga City decreased by 129 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) between 2011 and 2016 in Wagga Wagga City were for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+91 people)
- Education (+63 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-52 people)