26.9% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Wagga Wagga City work 40 or more hours, compared to 29.6% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Wagga Wagga City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Wagga Wagga City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Wagga Wagga City Council - Retail Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||745||22.8||19.9||820||24.1||20.1||-75|
|16 hours - 24 hours||419||12.8||14.9||390||11.4||13.8||+29|
|25 hours - 34 hours||472||14.4||13.2||404||11.9||12.2||+68|
|35 hours - 39 hours||589||18.0||18.0||578||17.0||16.5||+11|
|41 hours - 48 hours||275||8.4||6.8||294||8.6||7.6||-19|
|49 hours or more||279||8.5||10.0||381||11.2||11.8||-102|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Wagga Wagga City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 53.4% of the resident workers in Retail Trade worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 44.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 51.2% and 47.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (22.8% compared to 19.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.8% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (9.9% compared to 12.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.4% compared to 6.8%)
The number of the resident workers (Retail Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Wagga Wagga City decreased by 146 people (-9.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Wagga Wagga City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-102 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-75 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+68 persons)
- 40 hours (-36 persons)