Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Wagga Wagga City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Wagga Wagga City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Wagga Wagga City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Wagga Wagga City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,406||4.2||2.0||1,221||4.1||2.1||+185|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||407||1.2||1.0||328||1.1||0.9||+79|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,221||6.7||6.2||2,131||7.1||7.1||+90|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,203||3.6||4.6||1,213||4.1||4.7||-10|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||259||0.8||1.8||286||1.0||2.2||-27|
|Financial and Insurance Services||510||1.5||5.3||526||1.8||4.9||-16|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||330||1.0||1.7||345||1.2||1.8||-15|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,342||4.0||8.9||1,177||3.9||8.1||+165|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,016||3.1||3.2||849||2.8||3.5||+167|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,280||9.9||6.1||3,047||10.2||6.0||+233|
|Education and Training||3,532||10.6||8.7||3,123||10.5||8.4||+409|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,957||17.9||14.4||4,707||15.8||12.5||+1,250|
|Arts and Recreation Services||276||0.8||1.4||280||0.9||1.5||-4|
|Industry not classified||1,281||3.8||4.6||1,009||3.4||4.7||+272|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Wagga Wagga City in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,957 people or 17.9%)
- Education and Training (3,532 people or 10.6%)
- Public Administration and Safety (3,280 people or 9.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 12,769 people in total or 38.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.7% in Education and Training and 6.1% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.0% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.9% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.5% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (17.9% compared to 14.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,250 resident workforce)
- Construction (+460 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+409 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+272 resident workforce)