Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Wagga Wagga City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Wagga Wagga City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Wagga Wagga City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Wagga Wagga City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Wagga Wagga City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Australia||Number||%||Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,221||4.1||2.5||1,127||3.7||2.3||+94|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||328||1.1||1.1||317||1.0||1.1||+11|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,131||7.1||6.9||2,110||6.9||6.1||+21|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,213||4.1||4.7||1,362||4.5||4.5||-149|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||286||1.0||1.7||304||1.0||1.7||-18|
|Financial and Insurance Services||526||1.8||3.6||628||2.1||3.5||-102|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||345||1.2||1.7||387||1.3||1.5||-42|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,177||3.9||7.3||1,074||3.5||6.8||+103|
|Administrative and Support Services||849||2.8||3.4||737||2.4||3.0||+112|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,047||10.2||6.7||3,157||10.3||6.5||-110|
|Education and Training||3,123||10.5||8.7||3,133||10.2||7.5||-10|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,707||15.8||12.6||3,921||12.8||11.0||+786|
|Arts and Recreation Services||280||0.9||1.7||206||0.7||1.4||+74|
|Industry not classified||1,009||3.4||4.4||556||1.8||2.2||+453|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,707 people or 15.8%)
- Retail Trade (3,258 people or 10.9%)
- Education and Training (3,123 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,088 people in total or 37.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Australia employed 12.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.9% in Retail Trade and 8.7% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Wagga Wagga City and Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (10.2% compared to 6.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.9% compared to 7.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.8% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.8% compared to 3.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+786 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+453 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-330 resident workforce)
- Construction (+163 resident workforce)