Wagga Wagga City
Resident workers - Industry
Construction employs more of Wagga Wagga City’s male resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Wagga Wagga City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Wagga Wagga City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Wagga Wagga City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Wagga Wagga City - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||877||5.7||2.9||804||5.2||2.9||+73||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||290||1.9||1.4||260||1.7||1.6||+30||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||776||5.0||6.3||756||4.9||5.8||+20||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||969||6.3||6.8||1,103||7.2||7.2||-134||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||169||1.1||2.5||172||1.1||2.5||-3||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||212||1.4||4.8||267||1.7||4.6||-55||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||150||1.0||1.7||175||1.1||1.5||-25||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||572||3.7||8.4||493||3.2||8.1||+79||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||367||2.4||3.1||323||2.1||3.0||+44||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,940||12.6||6.4||2,196||14.2||6.6||-256||39000||P|
|Education and Training||965||6.3||4.6||1,121||7.3||4.5||-156||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||911||5.9||5.3||709||4.6||4.7||+202||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||151||1.0||1.6||118||0.8||1.5||+33||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||686||4.5||5.5||322||2.1||2.7||+364||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workforce in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (2,095 people or 13.6%)
- Public Administration and Safety (1,940 people or 12.6%)
- Manufacturing (1,554 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 5,589 people in total or 36.3% of the total male resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 13.8% in Construction; 6.4% in Public Administration and Safety; and 7.8% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workforce of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (12.6% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (5.7% compared to 2.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.7% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.4% compared to 4.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the male resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+364 male resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (-256 male resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-230 male resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+202 male resident workforce)