Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Wagga Wagga City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Wagga Wagga City||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,996||15.0||11.9||4,671||15.7||12.7||+325|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,823||14.5||10.6||3,868||13.0||10.4||+955|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,733||11.2||13.0||3,657||12.3||13.8||+76|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,785||5.4||6.0||1,627||5.5||6.1||+158|
|Inadequately described or not stated||579||1.7||1.9||377||1.3||1.8||+202|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Wagga Wagga City in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (6,901 people or 20.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,996 people or 15.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,823 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 16,720 people in total or 50.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.8% in Professionals; 11.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.6% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (20.7% compared to 25.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.5% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.0% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (12.2% compared to 14.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Wagga Wagga City increased by 3,450 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Wagga Wagga City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,027 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+955 persons)
- Managers (+437 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+325 persons)