Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Wagga Wagga City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Wagga Wagga City||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,671||15.7||12.7||4,801||16.5||13.2||-130|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,868||13.0||10.4||3,250||11.2||9.5||+618|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,657||12.3||13.8||3,734||12.8||15.1||-77|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,627||5.5||6.1||1,697||5.8||6.4||-70|
|Inadequately described or not stated||377||1.3||1.8||445||1.5||1.8||-68|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,874 people or 19.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,671 people or 15.7%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (3,868 people or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,413 people in total or 48.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.4% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (19.7% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.7% compared to 12.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (13.0% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.3% compared to 13.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Wagga Wagga City increased by 767 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Wagga Wagga City were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+618 persons)
- Professionals (+360 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-130 persons)
- Managers (+116 persons)