There are more resident workers (Retail Trade) Sales Workers in Wagga Wagga City than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Wagga Wagga City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Wagga Wagga City||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||216||6.6||5.9||226||6.6||6.4||-10|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||20||0.6||1.0||37||1.1||1.0||-17|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||183||5.6||6.3||196||5.8||7.2||-13|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||86||2.6||4.0||97||2.9||3.9||-11|
|Inadequately described or not stated||15||0.5||0.6||12||0.4||0.8||+3|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (1,891 people or 58.1%)
- Managers (464 people or 14.3%)
- Labourers (276 people or 8.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,631 people in total or 80.9% of the resident workers (Retail Trade).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 53.5% in Sales Workers; 15.9% in Managers and 7.4% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Sales Workers (58.1% compared to 53.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Professionals (3.1% compared to 5.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Managers (14.3% compared to 15.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.6% compared to 4.0%)
The number of resident workers (Retail Trade) in Wagga Wagga City decreased by 150 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Wagga Wagga City were those employed as:
- Managers (-69 persons)
- Sales Workers (-49 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (-17 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-13 persons)