In Wagga Wagga City, the Retail Trade workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Wagga Wagga City - Retail Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||257||7.6||17.8||195||5.6||13.3||+62|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||168||5.0||8.7||143||4.1||7.6||+25|
|Certificate I and II Level||91||2.7||1.9||110||3.1||2.1||-19|
|Certificate III & IV Level||703||20.9||14.8||645||18.4||14.3||+58|
|Certificate Level, nfd||78||2.3||2.3||59||1.7||1.9||+19|
|Inadequately described or not stated||89||2.6||2.6||149||4.2||4.5||-60|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 38.5% of the workers (Retail Trade) who held educational qualifications, and 58.8% had no qualifications, compared with 45.4% and 52.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Retail Trade) of Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Bachelor or Higher degree (7.6% compared to 17.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with No qualification (58.8% compared to 52.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Certificate III & IV Level (20.9% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (5.0% compared to 8.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Retail Trade workforce in Wagga Wagga City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-228 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+62 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+58 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+25 local workers)