Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Wagga Wagga City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Wagga Wagga City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Wagga Wagga City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,567||14.9||12.7||4,616||15.6||13.2||-49|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,336||14.2||10.4||3,515||11.9||9.5||+821|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,860||12.6||13.8||3,961||13.4||15.0||-101|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,609||5.3||6.1||1,671||5.7||6.4||-62|
|Inadequately described or not stated||419||1.4||1.8||455||1.5||1.8||-36|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Wagga Wagga City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (6,114 local workers or 20.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,567 local workers or 14.9%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,336 local workers or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 15,017 people in total or 49.1% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 12.7% as Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.4% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Wagga Wagga City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.2% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (20.0% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (14.9% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (11.7% compared to 13.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Wagga Wagga City between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+821 local workers)
- Professionals (+457 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-101 local workers)
- Managers (+87 local workers)