Waverley Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in Waverley Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Waverley Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Waverley Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Waverley Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Waverley Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||922||2.5||2.1||895||2.6||2.0||+27||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,068||5.7||10.4||2,080||6.1||10.8||-12||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||1,688||4.6||4.4||1,392||4.1||4.1||+296||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||296||0.8||1.5||268||0.8||1.5||+28||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||9,085||24.9||17.1||7,650||22.5||15.5||+1,435||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||5,383||14.8||8.8||4,817||14.2||7.6||+566||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||994||2.7||3.3||1,024||3.0||3.2||-30||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||25||0.1||0.1||12||0.0||0.1||+13||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||992||2.7||2.7||1,175||3.5||3.5||-183||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Waverley Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (9,085 people or 24.9%)
- Society and Culture (5,383 people or 14.8%)
- Creative Arts (3,244 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 17,712 people in total or 48.6% of the resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 8.8% in Society and Culture; and 3.1% in Creative Arts.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of Waverley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (24.9% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (14.8% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Creative Arts (8.9% compared to 3.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (5.7% compared to 10.4%)
The number of resident workers in Waverley Council area increased by 2,400 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Waverley Council area were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,435 people)
- Society and Culture (+566 people)
- Health (+301 people)
- Architecture and Building (+296 people)