55.8% of the resident workers (All industries) in Waverley Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Waverley Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Waverley Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Waverley Local Government Area (LGA) - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,119||8.6||10.8||2,824||8.3||10.4||+295|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,613||9.9||10.4||3,033||8.9||9.7||+580|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,189||8.8||10.5||2,907||8.5||9.8||+282|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,631||12.7||19.1||4,033||11.8||18.2||+598|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,076||11.2||9.1||4,267||12.5||10.0||-191|
|49 hours or more||8,051||22.1||14.9||8,108||23.8||16.4||-57|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Waverley Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 29.9% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 68.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Waverley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.6% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (12.7% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.5% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.1% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Waverley Council area increased by 1430 people (6.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Waverley Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,080 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+598 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+580 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+295 persons)