Waverley Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
55.8% of the resident workers in Waverley Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Waverley Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Waverley Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Waverley Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,119||8.6||10.8||2,824||8.3||10.4||+295||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,613||9.9||10.4||3,033||8.9||9.7||+580||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,189||8.8||10.5||2,907||8.5||9.8||+282||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,631||12.7||19.1||4,033||11.8||18.2||+598||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,076||11.2||9.1||4,267||12.5||10.0||-191||22007|
|49 hours or more||8,051||22.1||14.9||8,108||23.8||16.4||-57||22008|
Analysis of the hours worked by Waverley Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 29.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 68.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Waverley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.1% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.5% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (12.7% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.6% compared to 10.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Waverley Council area increased by 1,430 people (6.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Waverley Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,080 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+598 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+580 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+295 people)