Waverley Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Waverley Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Waverley Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Waverley Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,644||7.3||12.7||2,693||7.9||13.2||-49|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,183||8.7||10.4||2,804||8.2||9.5||+379|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,802||10.4||13.8||4,085||12.0||15.1||-283|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||512||1.4||6.1||500||1.5||6.4||+12|
|Inadequately described or not stated||659||1.8||1.8||672||2.0||1.8||-13|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Waverley Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (14,175 people or 38.9%)
- Managers (7,178 people or 19.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (3,802 people or 10.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 25,155 people in total or 69.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Waverley Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (38.9% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (19.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (7.3% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (3.8% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Waverley Council area increased by 2,380 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Waverley Council area were those employed as:
- Managers (+1,051 persons)
- Professionals (+842 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+379 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-283 persons)