Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Whitsunday residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Whitsunday, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Whitsunday are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Whitsunday - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,438||8.0||2.6||1,462||9.3||2.8||-24|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||160||0.9||1.2||116||0.7||1.1||+44|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,095||17.2||7.2||2,481||15.8||7.3||+614|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,231||6.9||4.7||1,218||7.8||5.1||+13|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||66||0.4||1.0||85||0.5||1.2||-19|
|Financial and Insurance Services||150||0.8||2.6||136||0.9||2.5||+14|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||293||1.6||1.8||261||1.7||2.0||+32|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||547||3.0||6.7||481||3.1||6.3||+66|
|Administrative and Support Services||818||4.6||3.4||790||5.0||3.5||+28|
|Public Administration and Safety||643||3.6||6.2||533||3.4||6.6||+110|
|Education and Training||1,044||5.8||8.8||973||6.2||9.0||+71|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,448||8.1||15.4||1,114||7.1||13.0||+334|
|Arts and Recreation Services||147||0.8||1.5||156||1.0||1.6||-9|
|Industry not classified||787||4.4||4.5||720||4.6||4.3||+67|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Whitsunday in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Accommodation and Food Services (3,095 people or 17.2%)
- Construction (1,592 people or 8.9%)
- Retail Trade (1,529 people or 8.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 6,216 people in total or 34.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 7.2% in Accommodation and Food Services; 9.1% in Construction and 9.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Whitsunday and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (17.2% compared to 7.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (8.1% compared to 15.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (8.0% compared to 2.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (7.5% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Whitsunday were for those employed in:
- Accommodation and Food Services (+614 resident workforce)
- Construction (+409 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+334 resident workforce)
- Mining (+326 resident workforce)