Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Whitsunday's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,009||16.8||13.7||2,652||16.9||14.3||+357|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,242||12.5||12.3||1,715||10.9||11.3||+527|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,768||9.8||12.7||1,543||9.8||13.6||+225|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,959||10.9||6.8||1,744||11.1||6.9||+215|
|Inadequately described or not stated||341||1.9||1.9||242||1.5||1.6||+99|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Whitsunday in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,009 people or 16.8%)
- Labourers (2,769 people or 15.4%)
- Managers (2,292 people or 12.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 8,070 people in total or 44.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 10.1% in Labourers and 12.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Whitsunday and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (11.3% compared to 21.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (15.4% compared to 10.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.9% compared to 6.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (16.8% compared to 13.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Whitsunday increased by 2,288 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Whitsunday were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+527 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+357 persons)
- Labourers (+307 persons)
- Professionals (+279 persons)