Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Willoughby City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,219||5.9||11.9||2,286||6.3||12.7||-67|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,442||6.5||10.6||2,658||7.3||10.4||-216|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||4,411||11.8||13.0||4,479||12.3||13.8||-68|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||621||1.7||6.0||522||1.4||6.1||+99|
|Inadequately described or not stated||662||1.8||1.9||705||1.9||1.8||-43|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Willoughby City in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (15,460 people or 41.4%)
- Managers (7,726 people or 20.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (4,411 people or 11.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 27,597 people in total or 73.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.8% in Professionals; 14.6% in Managers and 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (41.4% compared to 25.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (20.7% compared to 14.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (5.9% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (3.2% compared to 8.2%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Willoughby City increased by 995 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Willoughby City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+986 persons)
- Managers (+796 persons)
- Sales Workers (-363 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (-216 persons)