Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Willoughby City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||29,527||49.7||32.6||22,676||43.2||27.9||+6,851|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||6,840||11.5||11.1||6,445||12.3||10.5||+395|
|Certificate I and II Level||424||0.7||1.2||531||1.0||1.4||-107|
|Certificate III & IV Level||6,055||10.2||18.7||6,153||11.7||18.8||-98|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,106||1.9||2.3||884||1.7||1.9||+222|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,497||2.5||2.9||2,012||3.8||4.5||-515|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Willoughby City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 73.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 23.5% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (49.7% compared to 32.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (10.2% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (23.5% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (0.7% compared to 1.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Willoughby City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,851 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+395 local workers)
- No qualification (+249 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+222 local workers)