Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Willoughby City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Willoughby City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Willoughby City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,705||9.6||12.7||5,601||10.7||13.2||+104|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,387||7.4||10.4||3,431||6.5||9.5||+956|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||8,530||14.3||13.8||8,204||15.6||15.0||+326|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,416||2.4||6.1||1,505||2.9||6.4||-89|
|Inadequately described or not stated||970||1.6||1.8||946||1.8||1.8||+24|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Willoughby City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (20,275 local workers or 34.1%)
- Managers (9,358 local workers or 15.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (8,530 local workers or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 38,163 people in total or 64.2% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 13.5% as Managers and 13.8% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (34.1% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (4.6% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.4% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.6% compared to 12.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Willoughby City between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,183 local workers)
- Managers (+1,235 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+956 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+687 local workers)