Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within Willoughby City, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to the Arts and Recreation Services workforce.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Willoughby City will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Willoughby City;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Willoughby City in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Willoughby City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services %||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,705||9.6||5.5||5,601||10.7||6.2||+104||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,387||7.4||25.2||3,431||6.5||23.0||+956||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||8,530||14.3||14.4||8,204||15.6||21.7||+326||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,416||2.4||--||1,505||2.9||--||-89||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||970||1.6||0.7||946||1.8||1.6||+24||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in Willoughby City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (20,275 local workers or 34.1%)
- Managers (9,358 local workers or 15.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (8,530 local workers or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 38,163 people in total or 64.2% of the local workers .
In comparison, the Arts and Recreation Services workforce within Willoughby City employed 30.0% as Professionals; 15.1% as Managers; and 14.4% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Willoughby City and the Arts and Recreation Services workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (10.2% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (34.1% compared to 30.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.6% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (7.4% compared to 25.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in Willoughby City workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Professionals (+3,183 local workers)
- Managers (+1,235 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+956 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+687 local workers)