Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Wollongong City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||21,037||26.6||32.6||17,702||22.6||27.9||+3,335|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,438||11.9||11.1||8,164||10.4||10.5||+1,274|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,124||1.4||1.2||1,293||1.7||1.4||-169|
|Certificate III & IV Level||18,653||23.5||18.7||18,527||23.6||18.8||+126|
|Certificate Level, nfd||2,064||2.6||2.3||1,725||2.2||1.9||+339|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,162||2.7||2.9||3,412||4.4||4.5||-1,250|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Wollongong City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a similar proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 66.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 31.2% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Wollongong City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (26.6% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.5% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.9% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (2.6% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Wollongong City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,335 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,791 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,274 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+339 local workers)