City of Wyndham
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Wyndham than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Wyndham's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Wyndham or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Wyndham, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Wyndham||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,160||2.2||2.4||1,369||1.8||2.2||+791||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||11,469||11.7||10.1||9,467||12.3||10.4||+2,002||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||3,433||3.5||4.6||2,654||3.4||4.2||+779||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||826||0.8||1.6||663||0.9||1.5||+163||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||16,749||17.0||15.0||10,969||14.2||13.3||+5,780||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||7,572||7.7||8.9||4,794||6.2||7.7||+2,778||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,026||4.1||3.6||2,807||3.6||3.5||+1,219||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||101||0.1||0.1||33||0.0||0.0||+68||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||2,933||3.0||2.9||3,046||3.9||3.8||-113||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Wyndham shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (16,749 people or 17.0%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (11,469 people or 11.7%)
- Society and Culture (7,572 people or 7.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 35,790 people in total or 36.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.0% in Management and Commerce; 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 8.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Wyndham and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Information Technology (6.3% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (17.0% compared to 15.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (5.6% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (3.8% compared to 5.5%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Wyndham increased by 21,145 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Wyndham were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+5,780 people)
- Information Technology (+2,830 people)
- Society and Culture (+2,778 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+2,002 people)