Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Wyndham - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||29,038||33.2||39.0||16,006||25.9||33.3||+13,032|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||10,421||11.9||11.5||7,095||11.5||11.5||+3,326|
|Certificate I and II Level||861||1.0||1.0||667||1.1||1.0||+194|
|Certificate III & IV Level||14,537||16.6||17.1||11,688||18.9||18.1||+2,849|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,385||1.6||1.5||1,197||1.9||1.8||+188|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,112||2.4||2.2||1,793||2.9||2.8||+319|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Wyndham in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 64.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.3% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Wyndham and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (33.2% compared to 39.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.3% compared to 27.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (16.6% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.9% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Wyndham between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+13,032 local workers)
- No qualification (+5,701 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+3,326 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,849 local workers)