Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Armadale - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5,957||28.1||31.1||4,207||23.9||27.4||+1,750|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,249||10.6||10.9||1,864||10.6||10.8||+385|
|Certificate I and II Level||466||2.2||1.8||292||1.7||1.4||+174|
|Certificate III & IV Level||4,786||22.6||21.8||3,832||21.8||21.9||+954|
|Certificate Level, nfd||384||1.8||1.7||400||2.3||2.1||-16|
|Inadequately described or not stated||518||2.4||2.5||516||2.9||2.8||+2|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Armadale in 2021 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 32.2% had no qualifications, compared with 67.4% and 30.1% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Armadale and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (28.1% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (32.2% compared to 30.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.6% compared to 21.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (2.2% compared to 1.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Armadale between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,750 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+954 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+385 local workers)
- No qualification (+338 local workers)