Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Brisbane - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||339,205||41.7||29.3||258,651||36.2||25.1||+80,554|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||95,146||11.7||11.3||82,549||11.6||10.9||+12,597|
|Certificate I and II Level||9,269||1.1||1.5||7,209||1.0||1.3||+2,060|
|Certificate III & IV Level||134,823||16.6||23.2||121,859||17.1||23.0||+12,964|
|Certificate Level, nfd||13,026||1.6||1.8||12,415||1.7||2.0||+611|
|Inadequately described or not stated||15,651||1.9||2.2||15,874||2.2||2.7||-223|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Brisbane in 2021 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 72.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 25.4% had no qualifications, compared with 67.1% and 30.7% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Brisbane and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (41.7% compared to 29.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (16.6% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (25.4% compared to 30.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.1% compared to 1.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Brisbane between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+80,554 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+12,964 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+12,597 local workers)
- No qualification (-8,771 local workers)