Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Maroondah - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||14,618||31.3||39.0||11,152||26.4||33.3||+3,466|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,662||12.1||11.5||5,154||12.2||11.5||+508|
|Certificate I and II Level||491||1.1||1.0||409||1.0||1.0||+82|
|Certificate III & IV Level||9,322||20.0||17.1||8,920||21.1||18.1||+402|
|Certificate Level, nfd||781||1.7||1.5||744||1.8||1.8||+37|
|Inadequately described or not stated||891||1.9||2.2||1,087||2.6||2.8||-196|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Maroondah in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 66.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 31.9% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Maroondah and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (31.3% compared to 39.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (31.9% compared to 27.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (20.0% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.1% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Maroondah between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,466 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+508 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+402 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (+82 local workers)