Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Kalamunda residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Kalamunda, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Kalamunda are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Kalamunda - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||295||1.0||2.3||286||1.0||2.5||+9|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||316||1.1||1.2||301||1.1||1.2||+15|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,506||5.2||6.5||1,443||5.3||6.4||+63|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,172||7.5||4.5||2,246||8.2||4.6||-74|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||220||0.8||0.8||225||0.8||1.0||-5|
|Financial and Insurance Services||486||1.7||2.2||556||2.0||2.4||-70|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||416||1.4||1.4||437||1.6||1.7||-21|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,732||6.0||6.9||1,460||5.4||6.4||+272|
|Administrative and Support Services||800||2.8||3.1||846||3.1||3.3||-46|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,617||5.6||5.9||1,614||5.9||6.2||+3|
|Education and Training||2,589||8.9||8.8||2,363||8.7||8.7||+226|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,430||11.8||13.6||2,841||10.4||11.7||+589|
|Arts and Recreation Services||475||1.6||1.6||422||1.5||1.6||+53|
|Industry not classified||1,326||4.6||4.6||1,302||4.8||4.6||+24|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Kalamunda in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (3,430 people or 11.8%)
- Construction (2,726 people or 9.4%)
- Education and Training (2,589 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 8,745 people in total or 30.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 13.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.8% in Construction and 8.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Kalamunda and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (7.5% compared to 4.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (11.8% compared to 13.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (5.2% compared to 6.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1.0% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Kalamunda were for those employed in:
- Mining (+664 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+589 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+272 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+226 resident workforce)