Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Wollongong City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Wollongong City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Wollongong City Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,731||12.0||10.8||11,205||12.7||10.8||+526|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11,125||11.3||10.4||9,937||11.3||10.4||+1,188|
|25 hours - 34 hours||10,335||10.5||10.0||9,919||11.2||10.5||+416|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19,823||20.2||20.4||17,323||19.6||19.1||+2,500|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,254||7.4||7.4||7,908||9.0||9.1||-654|
|49 hours or more||9,562||9.8||11.5||11,167||12.7||14.9||-1,605|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Wollongong City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 44.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 54.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Wollongong City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (10.5% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.0% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.9% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (9.8% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Wollongong City increased by 777 people (1.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Wollongong City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+7,030 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,500 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-1,605 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,188 persons)