Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Wollongong City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Wollongong City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Wollongong City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,205||12.7||10.8||9,924||12.0||10.4||+1,281|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,937||11.3||10.4||8,844||10.7||9.7||+1,093|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,919||11.2||10.5||8,664||10.5||9.8||+1,255|
|35 hours - 39 hours||17,323||19.6||19.1||15,813||19.1||18.2||+1,510|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,908||9.0||9.1||8,123||9.8||10.0||-215|
|49 hours or more||11,167||12.7||14.9||11,182||13.5||16.4||-15|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Wollongong City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.9% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Wollongong City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.7% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.3% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.2% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.7% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Wollongong City increased by 2567 people (5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Wollongong City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,510 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,287 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,281 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,255 persons)