Armidale Regional Council
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in Armidale Regional Council than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Armidale Regional Council's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Armidale Regional Council or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Armidale Regional Council, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Armidale Regional Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||436||3.5||2.1||360||3.0||2.0||+76|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||798||6.5||10.4||804||6.6||10.8||-6|
|Architecture and Building||453||3.7||4.4||448||3.7||4.1||+5|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||659||5.3||1.5||587||4.8||1.5||+72|
|Management and Commerce||1,460||11.8||17.1||1,393||11.4||15.5||+67|
|Society and Culture||1,400||11.4||8.8||1,219||10.0||7.6||+181|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||407||3.3||3.3||361||3.0||3.2||+46|
|Mixed Field Programmes||9||0.1||0.1||12||0.1||0.1||-3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||325||2.6||2.7||387||3.2||3.5||-62|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Armidale Regional Council shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (1,460 people or 11.8%)
- Society and Culture (1,400 people or 11.4%)
- Health (991 people or 8.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,851 people in total or 31.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 8.8% in Society and Culture and 7.1% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Armidale Regional Council and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (11.8% compared to 17.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (6.5% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (5.3% compared to 1.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (11.4% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Armidale Regional Council increased by 150 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Armidale Regional Council was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+181 resident workers)
- Health (+168 resident workers)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (+76 resident workers)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (+72 resident workers)