Education and Training employs more of Armidale Regional Council's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Armidale Regional Council residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Armidale Regional Council, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Armidale Regional Council are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Armidale Regional Council - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,330||10.8||2.1||1,248||9.5||2.1||+82|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||92||0.7||0.9||100||0.8||1.0||-8|
|Accommodation and Food Services||955||7.8||7.1||993||7.6||6.3||-38|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||276||2.2||4.7||265||2.0||4.6||+11|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||114||0.9||2.2||118||0.9||2.2||-4|
|Financial and Insurance Services||254||2.1||4.9||323||2.5||4.8||-69|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||123||1.0||1.8||134||1.0||1.5||-11|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||643||5.2||8.1||654||5.0||7.4||-11|
|Administrative and Support Services||416||3.4||3.5||280||2.1||3.1||+136|
|Public Administration and Safety||598||4.9||6.0||623||4.7||5.8||-25|
|Education and Training||2,392||19.4||8.4||2,285||17.4||7.5||+107|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,690||13.7||12.5||1,512||11.5||10.9||+178|
|Arts and Recreation Services||91||0.7||1.5||118||0.9||1.4||-27|
|Industry not classified||339||2.8||4.7||183||1.4||2.3||+156|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Armidale Regional Council in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Education and Training (2,392 people or 19.4%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,690 people or 13.7%)
- Retail Trade (1,331 people or 10.8%)
In combination these three industries employed 5,413 people in total or 43.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Education and Training; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Armidale Regional Council and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (19.4% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (10.8% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (2.6% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.2% compared to 8.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Armidale Regional Council were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+178 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+156 resident workforce)
- Administrative and Support Services (+136 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-124 resident workforce)