Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Blacktown City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Blacktown City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Blacktown City Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||14,500||8.3||10.8||13,245||8.7||10.8||+1,255|
|16 hours - 24 hours||16,657||9.5||10.4||13,583||9.0||10.4||+3,074|
|25 hours - 34 hours||15,144||8.7||10.0||14,462||9.5||10.5||+682|
|35 hours - 39 hours||46,022||26.3||20.4||39,287||25.9||19.1||+6,735|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,212||5.8||7.4||12,689||8.4||9.1||-2,477|
|49 hours or more||12,327||7.0||11.5||16,628||11.0||14.9||-4,301|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Blacktown City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Blacktown City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (11.7% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (8.3% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (26.3% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (7.0% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Blacktown City increased by 2045 people (2.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Blacktown City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+16,301 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+6,735 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-4,301 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+3,074 persons)