Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Blacktown City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||25,675||24.4||32.6||19,019||20.6||27.9||+6,656|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||10,953||10.4||11.1||8,371||9.1||10.5||+2,582|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,278||1.2||1.2||1,374||1.5||1.4||-96|
|Certificate III & IV Level||20,900||19.8||18.7||18,177||19.7||18.8||+2,723|
|Certificate Level, nfd||2,455||2.3||2.3||1,678||1.8||1.9||+777|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,179||3.0||2.9||4,567||4.9||4.5||-1,388|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Blacktown City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.8% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Blacktown City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (24.4% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.8% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (19.8% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.4% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Blacktown City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,656 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,723 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+2,582 local workers)
- No qualification (+1,763 local workers)