City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Hours worked
36.4% of the resident workers in the City of Brimbank work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,236||11.5||12.0||8,007||10.5||11.4||+1,229||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,827||11.0||10.5||7,421||9.7||9.7||+1,406||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,830||11.0||11.2||7,324||9.6||10.1||+1,506||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||19,333||24.2||18.7||17,512||22.9||17.6||+1,821||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,853||7.3||9.2||6,225||8.1||10.2||-372||22007|
|49 hours or more||7,224||9.0||13.7||7,888||10.3||15.2||-664||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.4% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.2% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (3.1% compared to 1.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (9.0% compared to 13.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.3% compared to 9.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank increased by 290 people (0.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,821 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,506 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,406 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,229 people)