Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Brimbank's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Brimbank depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,553||11.5||11.7||9,236||11.5||12.0||+317|
|16 hours - 24 hours||9,810||11.8||10.8||8,827||11.0||10.5||+983|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,356||11.3||11.6||8,830||11.0||11.2||+526|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,879||25.2||20.8||19,333||24.2||18.7||+1,546|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,394||6.5||8.0||5,853||7.3||9.2||-459|
|49 hours or more||6,387||7.7||11.1||7,224||9.0||13.7||-837|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Brimbank's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.8% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (25.2% compared to 20.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (6.5% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (7.7% compared to 11.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Brimbank decreased by 402 people (-0.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Brimbank between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+1,805 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,546 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+983 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-837 persons)