Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||23,881||30.6||39.0||16,735||25.2||33.3||+7,146|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,687||11.1||11.5||7,199||10.8||11.5||+1,488|
|Certificate I and II Level||802||1.0||1.0||673||1.0||1.0||+129|
|Certificate III & IV Level||14,377||18.4||17.1||12,915||19.4||18.1||+1,462|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,365||1.7||1.5||1,253||1.9||1.8||+112|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,902||2.4||2.2||2,020||3.0||2.8||-118|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Brimbank in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 62.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 34.7% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (30.6% compared to 39.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (34.7% compared to 27.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (18.4% compared to 17.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.1% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Brimbank between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+7,146 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,488 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,462 local workers)
- No qualification (+1,380 local workers)