City of Brimbank
Resident workers - Qualifications
39.0% of the resident workers in the City of Brimbank have qualifications, compared to 47.6% for Victoria.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the City of Brimbank's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of City of Brimbank's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Brimbank||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||19,641||24.5||33.3||15,604||20.4||28.6||+4,037||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,188||11.5||11.5||7,637||10.0||10.4||+1,551||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||814||1.0||1.0||886||1.2||1.1||-72||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,313||16.6||18.1||12,456||16.3||17.9||+857||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,544||1.9||1.8||1,233||1.6||1.5||+311||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,690||3.4||2.8||4,144||5.4||4.0||-1,454||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in the City of Brimbank in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 39.0% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 41.0% had no qualifications, compared with 47.6% and 31.5% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Brimbank and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (41.0% compared to 31.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (24.5% compared to 33.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (16.6% compared to 18.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in the City of Brimbank between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+4,037 people )
- No qualifications (-1,563 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+1,551 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+857 people )