Burwood Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in Burwood Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Burwood Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Burwood Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,842||10.7||12.7||1,717||11.4||13.2||+125|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,700||9.9||10.4||1,349||8.9||9.5||+351|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,352||13.7||13.8||2,349||15.6||15.1||+3|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||629||3.7||6.1||574||3.8||6.4||+55|
|Inadequately described or not stated||435||2.5||1.8||382||2.5||1.8||+53|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Burwood Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (4,931 people or 28.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (2,352 people or 13.7%)
- Managers (1,910 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 9,193 people in total or 53.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Burwood Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (28.7% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.7% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (11.1% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.7% compared to 12.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Burwood Council area increased by 2,090 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Burwood Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+702 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+351 persons)
- Sales Workers (+323 persons)
- Labourers (+283 persons)