Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Casey - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,351||23.9||33.3||10,664||19.5||28.6||+4,687|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,899||12.3||11.5||5,463||10.0||10.4||+2,436|
|Certificate I and II Level||820||1.3||1.0||792||1.4||1.1||+28|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,085||20.4||18.1||11,070||20.2||17.9||+2,015|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,263||2.0||1.8||926||1.7||1.5||+337|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,858||2.9||2.8||2,445||4.5||4.0||-587|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Casey in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.8% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.3% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Casey and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.9% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (37.3% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (20.4% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.3% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Casey between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,687 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+2,436 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,015 local workers)
- No qualification (+610 local workers)