Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Hobsons Bay City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Hobsons Bay City||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,182||12.3||13.1||5,322||13.5||13.9||-140|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,947||9.4||10.6||3,359||8.5||9.3||+588|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||6,064||14.4||13.3||6,255||15.9||14.4||-191|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,757||6.6||5.8||2,902||7.4||6.1||-145|
|Inadequately described or not stated||772||1.8||1.7||943||2.4||2.2||-171|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Hobsons Bay City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (10,360 people or 24.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (6,064 people or 14.4%)
- Managers (6,023 people or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 22,447 people in total or 53.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Hobsons Bay City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (24.7% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (7.7% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.4% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.4% compared to 13.3%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Hobsons Bay City increased by 2,528 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Hobsons Bay City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,356 persons)
- Managers (+1,114 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+588 persons)
- Sales Workers (+326 persons)